Mie ayam brother is one of the filling dishes that can be found on the roadside. Several regions in Indonesia have a typical dish of chicken noodles. For example, Jakarta’s chicken noodles, known as yamin noodles, and Yogyakarta’s specialty, wonogiri chicken noodles. Even though they are both named Mie Ayam, the dishes from the two regions are different. For those of you who are confused about what activities to fill your free time on the weekends, it’s best to try making chicken noodles in the style of this seller’s brother.
This article has been published on Kompas.com with the title “Abang Seller’s Chicken Noodle Recipe and How to Make Seasoning Oil”
What is Mie Ayam? Mie Ayam is unlike most Indonesian cuisine, where the secret is in the sauce, the clue to a good mie ayam is the perfect al dente noodle. For this dish, bakmie is boiled in stock and topped with succulent slices of gravy-braised chicken. It can also be mixed in with fried mushrooms for more flavor.
Bangka Chicken Noodles
One of the legendary chicken noodle dishes and is liked by many people is the Bangka Chicken Noodle. This one noodle has its own characteristics, namely the noodles are very chewy and the addition of bean sprouts is served as a topping. For boarding children, one of them is a boarding house student in Depok, eating this one chicken noodle can fill the stomach when hungry.
This chicken noodle recipe is also quite easy to make at the boarding house. If you live in a boarding room that has shared kitchen facilities, chicken noodles can be one of your mainstay menus! If you’re lazy, you can also just look for chicken noodles at the roadside cart seller. In Depok, there are still many sellers of chicken noodle carts who go around the residential areas.
Mushroom Chicken Noodles
The next type of chicken noodle that you can try at the boarding house is mushroom chicken noodle. You can also make it at home because it is very easy to make. You can also find the recipe on the internet. Because, there are so many recipes for this type of chicken noodle that are scattered on the internet.
You just need to choose the easiest and also delicious taste. Usually, the recipe for this culinary dish is not much different from chicken noodles in general, such as the chicken noodle recipe described above. For this type of mushroom chicken noodle, you can use button mushrooms to add toppings into many variants and have a more delicious taste.
Javanese Chicken Noodles
This one culinary is very easy for you to find on the island of Java. This is because usually this type of chicken noodle will be found in stalls or carts that sell it. For its own characteristic, which has a seasoning that tends to be sweet combined with savory.
Another thing that makes this chicken noodle very popular is the taste and the many toppings. What’s more, when you have topped it with chili sauce and stirred it. Of course you will also want to add and add when eating this one dish.
This one food at a glance will look almost the same as chicken noodles in general. However, there are things that make this Javanese chicken noodle different. Where for the seasoning itself using coriander. There are even some traders who add turmeric.
That way you will be able to get a different and very rich taste. The noodles themselves, you can use egg noodles which are usually found in traditional markets. In addition, the uniqueness of this one noodle is that it has a small shape and soft texture. With the addition of fried dumplings and meatballs, it will definitely make you addicted.
Rainbow Chicken Noodles
Rainbow chicken noodles can be said as the newest alternative for those of you who want to enjoy chicken noodles with a different dish. Some people may still feel unfamiliar with the presence of this one noodle. However, the latest innovations in the culinary world allow you to find the latest noodle variant, namely the rainbow chicken noodle.
This type of chicken noodle recipe is actually the same as chicken noodles in general. The thing that makes the difference is the color of the noodles. If you usually only consume chicken noodles with yellow color, but this time you can consume chicken noodle colors, namely orange, green and purple.
Although it has a variety of colors, it turns out that these colors are not using artificial dyes. But using natural ingredients so it will be very safe for consumption. This is because green is usually made from spinach and purple is made from purple sweet potatoes.
So, for those of you who want to make this one noodle, you can buy it at a supermarket or organic store. This is because you will find it easier to find and make rainbow chicken noodles at home. The taste offered from this one noodle also tends to be very delicious so it will make you addicted.
Yamin Chicken Noodles
Many people think that Mie Ayam and Mie Ayam Yamin are the same culinary. However, the two turned out to be different things. This is because yamin noodles are a type of chicken noodle served without sauce. Then, Yamin noodles are also covered with more soy sauce to give a sweet and savory sensation. Many people say that Yamin noodles have a better taste. Plus the chili sauce, guaranteed the taste will be more diverse. You too will be addicted to try it!
By having a very dark brown color, then those of you who are true chicken noodle fans will certainly know the difference between chicken noodles and yamin noodles. In addition, Yamin noodles tend to have a thin textured noodle and also not too chewy. However, if you look at it from a presentation point of view, these two dishes will look the same. This is because there is chicken with soy sauce added with chopped scallions and mustard stew as a topping on it. The thing that makes the difference is in the Yamin noodles, the sauce will be served in a separate small bowl.
Wonogiri Chicken Noodles
One more type of chicken noodle that you need to know for noodle lovers, namely Wonogiri chicken noodle. This one culinary has a characteristic that is known for its meatball dish. In addition, another thing that distinguishes this one noodle from other chicken noodles is the chicken oil sauce which makes it even more delicious.
For those of you who want to make it at home, this type of chicken noodle recipe is actually almost the same as the others. That way, you will be able to easily make it. You can easily find the spices and ingredients needed.
Donoloyo Chicken Noodles
Mie ayam donoloyo is one of the prima donnas known by the people of Jakarta and its surroundings. this is because the noodles serve a very delicious taste and will make you addicted when you try it. For those of you who are interested in trying it, then you can buy it and feel the delicacy.
In enjoying this Donoloyo chicken noodle, you will get very soft noodles. Coupled with toppings in the form of chicken, caisim and fried dumplings will make you hungry. For those of you who like meatballs, this one topping is also mandatory to add.
Those are some types of chicken noodles in Indonesia. Surely you are familiar with these types. For those of you who want to make it in a boarding house, then you can also take a peek at the recipe that has been described above. An easy way of making, ingredients that are easy to find are the added value of this delicious culinary.
So that you can cook more freely in Kosan, you can choose a boarding house that has kitchen facilities with it, one of the choices is KoolKost from RedDoorz. In addition to having complete facilities such as rooms with comfortable mattresses, large enough wardrobes, work desks, televisions, private bathrooms, air-conditioned rooms, KoolKost also provides shared kitchen facilities that can be used for cooking. Let’s find the nearest KoolKost to your campus easily using the RedDoorz Application now!
How to make Mie Ayam
Cook time: 45 min, Prep time: 15 min
Mie Ayam Ingredients:
- 300 g dried egg noodle
- 100 ml salty soy sauce
- 300 g chicken breast, cubed and
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 stalk of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 200 g Chinese mustard, cut and washed
- 150 g bean-sprout, washed
- 2 tablespoon fried shallot
- 4 garlic clove, peeled
- 4 shallot, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 3 cm turmeric, peeled
- 3 cm ginger, peeled
- 4 candle nut
Stir Fry Chicken Mushroom:
- 300 g boneless and skinless chicken, cut into smaller pieces (1X1X2 cms)
- 150 g white mushrooms, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, bruised
- 3 cm long ginger, bruised
- 2 tbsp light mushroom soy sauce
- 1 tbsp kecap manis
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 400 mL chicken broth/water
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
Ingredients for the chicken broth:
- 2000 ml water
- ½ kg chicken bones
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
Ingredients for the chicken oil:
- 250 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g chicken skin
- 4 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
Mie Ayam preparation:
Stir Fry Chicken Mushroom:
- Combine 1 tbsp mushroom soy sauce, chicken pieces and ground white pepper; stir well. Add 1 tbsp tapioca starch and mix well. Set aside.
- Stir fry garlics and ginger until fragrant. Add seasoned chicken pieces. Stir frequently to let the aroma of ginger and garlic stick to chicken and cook until chicken changes colour.
- Add mushrooms, the rest of mushroom soy sauce, kecap manis, broth/water, salt and ground white peppercorns. Cook until seasoning is absorbed and chicken is cooked. Set aside. There might be a small amount of broth left in the cooking, so we can use up for assembling the noodles later on.
- In a large pan, add water and bring to a boil.
- Add all other ingredients then cook at high heat
- Once it’s boiled, reduce to low heat and continue cooking until the next 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain and broth is ready to use.
Chicken noodle soup (mushroom optional)
- To make the chicken oil, heat the vegetable oil in a pan and fry the chicken skin until crispy. Add the garlic, ginger, white pepper and coriander. Lower the heat and fry for another 15 minutes. Take out the chicken skin, garlic and ginger. The oil is ready to be used.
- Boil the water in a pan. When it is boiling add the chicken bones. Lower the heat and let simmer until the nice aroma comes out. Add the ground white pepper and salt.
- Blend garlic, shallot, coriander, turmeric, ginger and candle nut in a food processor.
- Fry the spice paste in a frying pan for 2 minutes. Add the cubed chicken breast and fry until the chicken is cooked.
- Pour 2 tablespoon of chicken oil to each bowl.
- Boil the noodle with the Chinese mustard and bean-sprouts until just tender.
- Put the noodle, bean-sprouts, and the Chinese mustard in the bowl and add 2-3 tablespoon of chicken.
- Sprinkle with the sliced spring onion and fried shallot. Pour 1-2 ladle soup of the chicken broth.